Saturday, December 27, 2008

A Team7Deuce Trip to the Bike

Last Friday, we made a decision as a group to play at the Bike the day after Christmas, because so many of us had the day off. And lets face it, in Los Angeles, the best tournament for our tastes is one without Add-on’s or Re-buy’s (which just have a tendency to make play stupid), and a relatively lower buy in. Considering the fact that we’re all really amateurs at Pablosplace, we don’t want to drop the entire bank roll on an entry fee. The Bike offers a daily noon’er at their location in Bell Gardens, and for only $40, offers the opportunity to play real poker.

You begin with $2000 starting chips, and a blind structure that increases every 20 minutes, starting at 25/25. It’s a nice tournament with decent turnouts of about 150 per tourney. Yesterdays was a really good tournament as 264 entries saw their way to the felt.

We brought 6 Team7Deuce members to the tables at the Bike as Amber and Chris were the first to arrive. Jordan, Tim, and I drove down together, and with about 15 minutes to spare, Robert made his entry into the tournament. Better late than never I guess.

Tim and I were actually seated at the same table for the majority of the tournament, and were later joined at the table by Robert prior to the first break. I went on a ridiculously sick cold run of cards to begin the tourney, with my best starting hand prior to the break being Q-9. It was that good. Regardless, I still made it through the break, but with a short stack of only $1150. Chris was the first of our group to hit the rail, followed shortly by Amber, and then by Jordan. All were prior to the first break. Tim had chipped up to about $4900 or so, and Robert was pretty healthy with around $3500. I only had one opportunity to raise with 7-2, but it was suited. Thankfully, I got no callers, and I showed my glorious hands, much to the amusement of everyone at the table.

After the break, it was more of the same cold play for me. I just couldn’t catch anything paired, suited, or connected. It was ugly. Tim and Robert lost a few pots, and subsequently, a large part of both of their stacks. Finally, Robert succumbed and it was just Tim and I left.

My chip stack had dwindled to a measly $325 chips, and I finally got it all in with the Blinds at $100/$200 and a $25 ante. Seemed as good of a time as any to throw out a Hail Mary. So, with a pre-flop raise to $700, I made my stab with 6-4os, and nobody called. Heads up, my opponent turned K-J, and I at least had two live cards. The flop helped neither of us, but the turn produced a 6, and the river blanked, giving me some life. A few hands later, I’d get it all in again pre-flop with K-J of spades. I had action from 2 players this time, and it created a small side pot. Only one spade fell on the flop, and a bet out lost one of my opponents. I tabled my KJ, and my opponent tabled pocket 9’s. The turn and river produced running spades and my flush took another pot, tripling my stack, and for the first time, producing a positive chip stack. Our table broke shortly there after, and Tim went to another table to bad results. He had said that he got it in with a flush draw with K-10 suited, but ended up losing to pocket Q’s.

My run lasted quite a while as I started playing some pretty good poker. Tight, but good. I eventually ended up chipping up to about 11k, where I hovered until my exit. With 29 players left, we went to hand for hand action, as the intent was to pay 27 players. When Mr. Bubble boy left, a proposition to pay 28 places was agreed upon by all players, and play resumed.

On the second hand, I found myself with pocket Q’s from the small blind. As action found its way to me via everyone folding, I made it 4,000 to go with only the big blind to act (blinds were at 600/1200 with 200 ante). The big blind thought for a long while, and finally made the call. The flop produced A-K-3, and I wasted no time moving all in for my last 6400. The big blind thought for a long time. Stacked out his chips to make the call, and realized that he’d only have only 1500 behind him if he made the call. He placed his chips back down and picked up his cards. Then someone called the clock on him. He finally picked his chips back up and made the call with K-Qos. I was pretty much toast, and the turn and river were meaningless, ending my day in 28th place.

A somewhat disappointing cash for me if that’s possible. But at least it was a cash nonetheless. I made $15 for my play of 4 hours, but at least it was the right direction.

For right now, I think that we should be good to go for Friday night again. Great job by everyone who came. It’s always a blast to get out and play with you guys. Until next time. Cheers, P

No comments: